Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Goal accomplished!

I can't believe that I find it hard to keep up with a blog. Didn't think the day would come that I procrastinate blogging. It is still a personal goal to update at least monthly. If I let it go much further than that, I may never blog again! Noooooo!
Here's what's been happening here....

Aaron finally took the kids fishing so they could use their rods that they asked Santa Claus for. They fished with minnows and that was a great pick for Aaron. Carter thought he was actually catching those tiny fish!




Aaron is assisting some of the Scouts in earning their hiking merit badge. They completed another 10-mile hike.


Haylee bug is still so cute. She also still won't roll over or crawl. Just sits.
I try. Everyday. Promise.
She just got her 5th tooth today. Teething is giving me much grief. Poor thing.








Carter put his own belt on for church. He was proud to model that thing!




More Haylee!




About two weeks ago, I noticed a bunny eating flowers in my yard and I chased it off. The next morning, there was a female mallard sitting in that same flower bed. She sat there all day and I finally gave in to letting the kids throw some bread to her that evening. When that bread got close to her though, she took off and this is what we found!
9 eggs! She layed two more over the next two days too. I think that I was the most excited about it!
A few days later, I was showing a neighbor our new duck and when I got close to the flowers I spotted this -
A baby bunny. In that same flower bed. I couldn't believe it. After looking for another few seconds, I found three more!
We have our own little farm, right outside our front door! They were so cute!
The bunnies hung around for a few days, but have since left.


Mother duck continues to sit on her nest of eggs. Day...after...day.

She can sometimes hide fairly well. Most of the time though, the people that walk past our home spot her. I hope those eggs make it to hatching day.

Then one night last week, Daddy duck appeared! He hangs out occasionally and tries to scare off any annoying neighbors that quack at him. (I seriously found the neighbor boy out dancing around like a duck and having a quacking party with daddy duck...it was pretty funny to watch that from my window.)

Hopefully we'll get to see some little duckings.




Lastly, I made a goal. That is usually as far as I get.
I feel like I RARELY accomplish a goal.
Until last week! I have had this darn (it's only a "darn" quilt because it's nagged me for so long) unfinished quilt sitting in my basement for almost two years. I wanted it finished by last Friday and I did it!
But now I'm in trouble again because I REALLY want to start on another one. Oh dear. It's a vicious cycle.

10 comments:

Launa said...

You have way more ambition and talent than I ever had with 3 kids. That looks way kool. Good job Shayleen. Love Ya Mom

Katie Meadows said...

That's so funny you had eggs in your yard. A bird made a nest in Kendra's bike helmet and laid 5 eggs. The girls check every single day to see if the mama bird is there, we are "impatiently" waiting for the eggs to hatch!

chelle said...

How fun!
Love the quilt and your cute kids!
Forget the birds and the bees, you have bunnies and ducks....weird! lol
How fun it will be if they do hatch. You might end up with "bucks" in your front yard. :P

Lori said...

Haylee is so cute. I cannot get over how much she looks like Olivia. That is awesome you have a farm without paying or caring for the animals. I hope the eggs make it also. That would be cool.

Chelseanator said...

What a lovely and exciting post!!!! It looks like you all have been up to a LOT of good times! Haylee bug is soo darn cute! She is adorable and made me smile too. I think she is the perfect mix between Olivia and Carter-what a knock out!

The ducks and bunnies are so awesome too! That is so sweet and amazing! I'm so excited too you got to see the baby bunnies and that you have so many eggs! Oh my gosh those are going to be the cutest little fluffs ever! Hope they survive and you can get some photos! You have such a welcoming and loving flower bed :] Everybody loves your home!

Ohhh! and I LOVE the quilt! Way to go! I totally have projects like that, that just nag at you. I'm so glad you could finish. It looks awesome and is way impressive. It will be so perfect for the summer months!

Love, Chelsea

Corrie- said...

Your quilt is amazing! I'm one of the noisy neighbors that checks on the duck when I drive by. I really do hope that they make it. I also hope that the baby rabbits head towards my parents' house and not ours. Our salad bar, I mean garden, is just getting started!

LaraTalena said...

I hope the ducklings make it! I would love to see pics of little duckies! And your quilt is beautiful! Way to go, girl! You can make your next quilt at my class...see you Monday?!?! I hope so!

Miss you so much! Things have been crazy here (are they ever not?!) We'll have a play date soon!

LaraTalena said...

btw...this is Lara :)

Amy J said...

I can't believe how much you accomplish! I wish I had half your ambition. I can't wait to see you guys tomorrow! WOOOHOOOOO! I can't wait to see the kids. oh, and you too. haha

Mama D said...

Fantastic quilt! Your kids are adorable. How fun to have ducks and rabbits breeding in your own yard.