Sunday, October 28, 2007

We've made it a tradition

We just returned from a visit to Utah. I flew there with the kids, while Aaron stayed back in Cincinnati to diligently study for mid-terms & fulfill Scout-Master duties. I was quite nervous to fly with Carter without Aaron's help, but all the prayers offered really worked. Carter did great on the way to Utah and on the way back home. I also didn't have to use the doggie bag for Olivia. That's success.
Unfortunately we were not all healthy for our stay in Utah. It seems to have become tradition that whenever we travel to Utah to have a good time visiting family and friends, we all get sick. Last year Olivia was diagnosed with pneumonia. This year, all three of us got strep throat. What's worse is that we infected a few others before we realized what we had. My little sister, Shellee, got to perform strep cultures on all three of us and got to give me the peanut butter shot. I didn't get pictures of this one, but I'm sure she enjoyed poking me this time as much as
the first time.
Well, we were still able to enjoy our visit. Hopefully the pictures are proof of that.


Olivia is always up for a game and was so happy to have Grandma to play with her.


Pleasant Grove has changed a lot. Just next door to my parents house, they are building several new homes.


Carter got a new winter coat before going to Utah. He reminded me a bit of Randy on The Christmas Story. If he fell down, he definitely couldn't get up.



Olivia had fun deflating my mom's Halloween decorations.


Olivia recruited any one that was willing to play a game with her. She loved playing Candyland Castle with Grandma Harper.

On Saturday we drove up American Fork Canyon. The drive up was clear and beautiful. When we got up there, the snow started to come down heavily. The kids loved seeing the snow, but the drive back down the canyon was slick. This picture is of Kelton, Olivia and Grandpa standing out in the snow.


Carter, Grandma and myself stayed in the car with the heater on.


The reason we drove up the canyon was to see Brandon's deer that he shot. I blacked out the gutted part. Brandon is a goof ball!


We made it outside before the snow melted.



Carter had fun in it until he hands started to freeze.

Olivia spent a fair amount of time playing with my mom's doll house.


Carter enjoyed getting his hands in it too and destroying the carefully set up rooms.


I originally planned to get Olivia dishes for Christmas, but now she can fully utilize her kitchen and has prepared us several wonderful meals already.


A little salt and pepper on Shonte's meal.


Carter & Max playing tops.


Brandon and Carter


Olivia and Max


Lori & Gavin



My college friend, Jennie Wilder.

Grandma, Olivia and baby Sam.


Brothers: Kelton & Sam


Shellee & Carter


Grandma Harper & Brandon

Sorry for getting several of you sick while we were visiting. I would promise to not let it happen again, but it's TRADITION! Thanks for the good times though!

7 comments:

i'm erin. said...

wow, looks like you had lots of fun. Next time, give me a call and I will do your pictures for free! It would be fun to see you guys.

luv erin

kbradley said...

Looks like you had a good time, besides the coming down with strep. Seriously, what is it about traveling that make you sick?We get sick everytime we travel too. I guess it adds to the memories.

Steve and Jamie said...

Welcome back! We just got home too. Your trip looked a lot like mine-- the dead animals, the kids playing with grandma's "fun" toys, the CRAZY construction. I can't wait for the next playgroup so we can compare trips.

chelle said...

How fun! Looks like fun was had by all. So sorry you were sick! Hope your feeling better!

Unknown said...

So cute Shayleen! It was wonderful to have you here. Just wish we could have spent more time together. You are so good on the computer, I'm going to start calling you when I have a question-hopefull we'll come see you next summer--Love you!

Launa said...

Shayleen thanks for coming to visit us. It was so fun to spend time with the kids. I really miss them. It was also fun to go shopping with you. All my shopping partners have moved away. I wish GE would build a plant closer to Utah. (ha ha no such luck) Miss you and love you
Mom

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you guys come out and celebrate and just enjoy family! I am soo soo soo sorry too that you got sick again!!! That is AWFUL and just the worst! There's been some really bad bugs going around here and I got some of them last week too, so I'm really sorry for you guys. I'm glad the plane trip was good though, you are brave for sure! All of your photos are great and it looks like such a special and happy time. I agree everything is changing way to fast though. Oh I really liked the deer photo-that cracked me up, I'm glad you blocked the nasty part, I really do hate that. Boys will be boys for sure....so funny! I hope you are all healthy now and that next time you won't get sick! Good thing you have lots of good family to take care of you! Glad you could come home!

Love, Chelsea