Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dear Dr. Crawford,

I remember very well when Olivia was just four months old.

She came out of "surgery" and was a different baby. She wasn't flexible and easy to nurse anymore. She couldn't be diapered like a normal baby. She was traumatized. I was traumatized! She required size 1 diapers again. Huggies Supreme diapers with the tabs cut off so that I could more easily stuff a clean one inside her cast every two hours. She weighed three times as much as she did before the cast. She was PINK.



She didn't require a bathtub. Just a bottle of alcohol and long handled cotton swabs so I could swab down the inside of her cast really good.
A special car seat, stroller, high chair and our own adaptations to baby equipment so she could still play like a normal baby. Because inside the PINK she was still a normal seven month old.


At nine months old, an exciting day came. Traumatic for Olivia though. They "sawed" her cast off and she was so floppy. No longer stiff like a board. It was so fun to see her in pants.


Still wide through the knee area, but learned to do all the 10 month old stuff.




A dress could easily cover up the brace.



It seems to have all paid off! Thank you for the watchful eye and expertise!

Olivia had her yearly check-up for her hip dysplasia with Dr. Crawford yesterday. We won't be seeing Dr. Crawford again (because he's retiring within the next year). But the great news is that we don't have to see a doctor again for this until Olivia is 10 years old! Lots of prayers were offered before hand and when the doctor left the exam room, Olivia quickly let me know that our prayers worked. I got a little bump in my throat.

It's all been worth it!



Now...I hate to turn this post once again to Carter, but let's admit it, he always steals the show somehow. While in the exam room and waiting for Dr. Crawford, Olivia and Carter were staying entertained with the spinny chair. Until Carter got spun off and hit the hard floor head first. Not good. He was so upset and vomitted a bit too. After Olivia's exam, the Dr. strongly suggested to us that we stay there for an hour and an incident report had to be done.
Everything turned out fine, but Carter had us worried until about 6pm that night. He definitely wasn't himself. That is until we gave him some Motrin and (what we guess) relieved his massive headache.
So...it all turned out good ;)

13 comments:

J-ME said...

I had no idea you guys had to go through that? What a trial. I am so happy that we live when we do and they were able to get her the help she needed. I bet that is a huge relief that things are looking so good!
Poor little carter, Such a BOY!!

Kayla said...

I didn't know that either (I wasn't around then anyway). I'm glad that everything has turned out. My friend's daughter had that, but it must not have been as severe. She was just in slings until she was 6 months old but they could take them off so she could move around a bit.

Katie Meadows said...

You can't read that without tearing up....I thought of Olivia and you guys alot when we were having Kaylie checked for that. You are such a strong person & I'm so glad she is doing so great...she is such a cute girl!

kbradley said...

Congratulations Olivia! That is so exciting. I had forgotten all about the cast and braces. It all seems so long ago and she is so perfect now. I'm glad eveything turned out so well. I had hip dysplasia when I was a baby and look how perfect I turned out! :)
Jordan did the same thing (as Carter) today at Dylan's Orthodontist appointment. Those spinning chairs are dangerously fun!
By the way that last picture of Olivia is precious. Those big eyes and curly hair.

Launa said...

Hooray Olivia no more doctor until you are 10! What great news! I love you and I am so glad Heavenly Father has answered our prayer for you.

Love ya
Grandma J

Robyn said...

I can't believe how times passes. I vividly remember going to your apt. at Conifer Crossing and thinking Olivia had fallen off of the changing table when I saw that pink cast.

From there my admiration and awe of you took full effect. I don't know how you did it, but you did it well enough to see the fruits years later. Great, great, great job.

(And Shayleen told me that the person who sawed off her cast was blown away by how clean it all was in there. It stands to reason that inside a baby cast can get pretty nasty, but not Olivia's! What amazing spit/alcohol bathers you guys were.)

Mama D said...

I remember Olivia's pink cast. You are all astounding troopers! Congrats to Olivia and to you for reaching this milestone. It's time to celebrate!

Brittanie said...

I remember hearing about that when it happened. We felt your guy's pain. It was the same time we found out about Allyssa's Cerebral Palsy.
Prayers really do help and miracles happen! SO SO happy for you!!

martha corinna said...

Wow, that's a lot.
Congrats on the good new though, what a blessing and what a beautiful girl Olivia is.

gordonfan said...

Wow I am so happy that Olivia is progressing so well. What a blessing. Im equally happy that Carter wasn't hurt badly. I do really love having him in our nursery. Oh one more thing as long as I am here. You are now tagged. Visit the MOSL for details

Lori said...

Yay, Olivia! Congrats! That was such a fun post to reflect back upon. It is crazy how you would never know she had to go through all of that. It is great that it was when she was an infant so that she wont remember any of it. She was adorable. I don't know if I really ever say baby Olivia pictures. I am sure all the heartache has paid off for you guys.

Vicki Lunt said...

Wow! What a trip back through all of that journey with Olivia's hip stuff. So glad it's behind Olivia and you, Shayleen, and all of us as we have all worried for her as well.

Glad the Lord has answered our prayers and she now doesn't have to go back until TEN years old. What a wonderful blesing.

Love,

Grammy Lunt

chelle said...

WOW! I remember that adorable pink baby. To see Olivia now you would never guess all that you guys had to go through to get to where you are now. I am glad everything is as it should be and that the visit went well.