Sunday, June 07, 2009

Our "Staycation" Day

Since I'm pretty much planning on being home all summer and not being to do a whole lot with the kids, Aaron and I decided to let them have some fun on Friday. Aaron took the day off and it was a beautiful day to visit the Cincinnati Zoo.

Carter really wanted to ride the Lion (seriously).
Take note of Carter's hat and sunglasses...he wants to do EVERYTHING that Aaron does.



And here you have it! Me...38 weeks along. Now stop bugging me to post a picture of myself, okay? I feel a bit like the size of that polar bear, but not nearly as agile.



A highlight was feeding the giraffe's. Carter didn't realize how long those tongues were!



After watching Carter get licked, Olivia was a little timid.



All the excitement wore Carter out, so he missed out on a few animals (shhhh...he doesn't know that yet).



The carousel ride was very exciting.



Until the two minutes were over. Then, Olivia felt cheated.



After 5 1/2 hours at the zoo, and on our way out of the gate, we stopped to pet a python.



I think Olivia enjoyed every minute of the zoo. She's at a great age for all that stuff!



After stopping at Arby's for a curly fry dinner, Aaron camped out in the basement with the kids. (Remember, Carter has been banned from the real thing.) I couldn't bear to think of losing even more sleep than I already do and so I happily slept in my own bed ;) Great camping experience.

11 comments:

kbradley said...

I don't remember being able to feed the giraffes or carousel at the Cincy Zoo. We may have to take a trip out that way before we leave Ohio. Basement camping sounds like fun. We took the boys backyard camping this weekend. They loved it and did great. I was freezing at night. Go figure you go last may and it's hot, I go in June and freeze. Are we still on for Sat.?

Lori said...

Looks fun. That Zoo looks much better than ours. I love the cute belly pic.

Michelle said...

So much fun! And you look so good! I wish I'd looked that good at the end! We miss you all! Kenzie loves to see pictures of you guys and is always asking about you all!

Steve and Jamie said...

Basement camping sounds so much better than actual camping right now. Maybe we'll have to try it.

Steph and KO said...

You look great for 38 weeks...you're almost done! The zoo looks fun, but how did you stand for 5 1/2 hrs preggo?? Looks like you guys had fun, miss y'all!!

Chelseanator said...

I agree-you look so cute and fabulous! :] and not at all like a polar bear! The Zoo trip looked like tons of fun and a huge sucess. I love the giraffes! and wow, petting a snake!??! I'm not at all surprised that Olivia didn't shy away from that. Its looked like an action pack day full of fun. I like the basement camping idea too, very clever. Hope you did get some quiet, restful sleep!

Love, Chelsea
p.s. #3 is coming so fast! are you guys all ready?!??!! how is aaron's thesis coming along? best of luck!

Patty said...

What a fun day! I love the idea of camping out in the basement!

Vicki Lunt said...

Glad you guys got to do a family outing before this baby comes. And you DO look terrific, Shayleen! You couldn't look bad if you were 100 weeks! haha! Seriously.

I miss you guys so much. Can't wait to see all of you--including this new bundle of joy coming down the turnpike! Any names yet?

Cracks me up how Carter wants to everything like his Dad. What a cutie.

Kiss the kiddos for me and tell them Grammy loves them very much.

Vicki/Mom/Grammy

Sylvia said...

I think you should get a prize for walking thru the zoo for 5 and 1/2 hours 38 WEEKS PREGNANT!! What a good mom!! Your kids are darling, i can't wait to see pics of #3!

Mama D said...

I'm amazed that you made it through so long at the zoo. At 38 weeks preg-o, I would have wilted after a couple of hours tops. Shayleen wins the medal for stamina and courage! What a great day to spend as a family, though. Your kids will have great childhood memories!

Amy J said...

way to go! taking the family to the zoo on a hot day and 38 weeks prego! i know i wouldn't be doing that. you look really good in that picture! good times:)