Friday, February 15, 2008

Here's to L-O-V-E

We had a great Valentine's day and I'll tell ya, as Olivia gets older, it's fun to start traditions! She really got into the doorbell ditching this year. We left cookies for a couple of neighbors and she hid so quietly with me in the cold while we waited for our neighbors to close their doors so we could run back home! She was especially excited when we got home and someone (me) rang our doorbell and ran away, leaving her some of her favorite things on the doorstep.
Valentine's Day is a great day to do homemade sugar cookies! Carter has never participated in frosting anything before. He did it exactly as he is supposed to though...following the example of his older sister...

The frosting is better from the butter knife than from a cookie (which only dilutes the sugar taste).


We had some friends join us for the frosting and SPRINKLES action. Rachael is a pro with the sprinkles and so she was Olivia's tutor when it was Olivia's turn to sprinkle.


Just like last year, we had sesame seed chicken (one of Aaron's favorites) by candlelight with the whole family. Only my timing with finishing dinner, Aaron getting home and the kids being hungry, didn't work out. So...we had to start dinner without the man of the house.


Aaron made up for being late though (or maybe this was the reason he was late)!

9 comments:

Louann and Bari said...

Awww---how cute your kids are!!! It took me a while before I figured this out, but I (now)(still) give the kids a dinner plate to frost cookies on. The lip of the plate holds in any 'runnaway' sprinkles. Happy Baking!

Mama D said...

What a beautiful bouquet! And what fun traditions. Glad you had such a great day!

chelle said...

I LOVE that bouquet! Nice going Aaron!
WHat a fun idea to ring n run!
Looks like it was a great day.

Robyn said...

Oh traditions. I am trying to start some and this just gets me excited for more. So cute.

And Carter looks a little shifty frosting cookies. Maybe he was planning a cookie heist or something.

Our Sweet Life said...

I love your Valentine's traditions - what fun ideas - and your flowers are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I love all of you Valentine's festivties too. Everything looks so sweet, yummy, cute. I love the cookies-that is a favorite for sure, your big candles and everything. I'm so glad you had such a sweet day. Your flowers are AMAZING and so BEAUTIFUL! Wow!
Happy late Valentines!

Love, Chelsea

Amy J said...

wow! good job aaron on those flowers. they are beautiful. I can't believe how old carter looks, such a good looking guy.

Leslie said...

Aaaw! You are such a great mom! I want to be like you when I grow up -- hopefully that will be BEFORE my kids grow up!

martha corinna said...

Happy Birthday to you Shayleen! I read that it was your birthday on Cathy's blog.
Those flowers above are so pretty, I am a sucker for flowers!