Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"The Princess that got Baby Moses out of the water"

Last Saturday we had our Quarterly Primary Activity at church. Scripture Adventures was the theme and the kids were asked to come dressed as their favorite scripture character. So, last Monday I asked Olivia who she would like to be and then quickly gave the idea of being Mary (Jesus' mother) to her. I thought she would love the idea and we would be set. But - I was quickly shut down! Her response was, "No, I want to be the Princess that got Baby Moses out of the water." (It was like she had known I was going to ask the question and was all prepared with her answer.) So, feeling a little ashamed that I didn't know the story all that well, I called Aaron to be sure that this princess was a good princess (I didn't want for my daughter's "favorite scripture character" to be wicked.). So after taking a good look at the Gospel Art kit picture of Olivia's favorite scripture princess, this is what we came up with...
Olivia as Pharoah's daughter! Olivia did want to carry a basket with a baby Moses in it, but I had to turn her down because it would have been too much to keep track of with four different activities going on.

Now to Carter - I'm pretty proud of my little boy. Althought his vocabulary is VERY limited, he has been going potty ON THE POTTY quite a bit. So, any advise on potty-training boys?

10 comments:

Meadows Family said...

No advise, but I'll email you the book I bought on potty training.

Bobbi said...

There are few things in the world that I hate more than potty training. I tried it with my first son, and it took me a year. The next two boys I let potty train themselves and it worked much better. I think the best thing is just to let them decide on their own when they want to start using the potty. Good luck! I don't envy you at all!!!

chelle said...

Olivia was ADORABLE on Sat. I love that she didn't think of someone very much thought of in scripture stories or "hero's".
And as for Carter. I say GO FOR IT!! Any time a boy is using the potty....take advantage of it! He might regress some. But, it's a start! Good Luck!

Jennie Freakin' Wilder said...

way to go on the costume! do you want to make me one for halloween??

Robyn said...

She is so, so cute. What an adorable costume and what a quick response too!

And I'm happy for you/jealous of you with Carter's potty progress. Good luck!

Our Sweet Life said...

I love the costume. She looks great! I have to agree with Bobbi on the whole potty training issue. Just let him do it on his own time frame. Good Luck!

Mama D said...

Olivia is creative and adorable!

My potty training advice is rather simple: breathe. Lamaze comes in handy for many parenting situations! Boys are almost always harder than girls. Don't get discouraged if/when it takes longer than it took Olivia. Teach from the VERY beginning about aim and clean-up, or just teach him to sit. :)

Go with the flow (oops, no pun intended!) of his excitement to be doing something so grown up. It will be easier to follow his lead.

IMO, it's okay to offer potty treats as motivation. (I prefer to view it that way, not as bribery.) Also IMO this is the worst part of parenting, so when Carter's got it figured out, you all deserve a special treat!

Amy J said...

Can your kids be any cuter? My goodness! Carter is sooo handsome. Olivia is such a little smarty pants. Maybe it was the sunbeams:) I can't beleive Carter would be ready already! With Kelton we just put on big boy pants and told him there weren't any more diapers at the house and other kids needed the ones at the store. I remember making a big deal about the big boy pants. Then that was it! I think if he is ready, he will be just fine.

Lori said...

She looks adorable! Way to go on the costume. Yay, for the potty!! I am assuming that this is for real this time.

Anonymous said...

First of all-Best of Luck w/ the pottty training for sure!!! I know moms need lots of luck and wishes w/ this one. Don't worry it will all come. I don't really have any advice :] but I think I have heard of using fruit loops to aim at!?!?!?! Crazy I know but I'm sure I heard someone say that :]

And I can't get over how cute and smart Olivia is!!!! I sure didn't remember that a "Princess" got Moses out of the water! That is soo cute and wonderful. She must of had a great lesson on that one. So sweet. I love the costume too-great job! You are so creative and craft!!!!

Love, Chelsea