Sunday, June 29, 2008

A date to Home Depot

Aaron and I were lucky enough to go on a date this past Friday night. After we went to pick up Carter and Olivia, Olivia immediately began to ask when Aaron would take her on a "gate." Aaron decided that Saturday would be good since we didn't have much going on. Olivia has also been asking to go to Home Depot so she can buy some supplies to build a bird house...so...the "gate" (date) ended up at Home Depot and then back home to build a bird house.


Their date had some visitors...





I got to finish off the "date" by supervising Olivia's paint job. Now we just need to find a spot in our yard to put it!

Side note: Olivia apparently didn't count this as a date because "you don't go to stores on a date." She wanted "Old McDonald's" (McDonald's) and then a walk to "talk about ourselves." Where does she learn this stuff?

****************************************************

Swim lessons started on Monday and continue to the end of this week. The water is certainly chilly, but Olivia and Carter look forward to it every morning. Olivia is taking a class with other children and instructors. Carter is doing a class with mommy. I would say that he and Olivia are about on the same level. I would love to do a mommy class with Olivia, but I don't think Carter would sit on the sidelines and wait his turn very good.
*************************************************
Aaron and I are actually growing a garden! I didn't know if I would ever be able to get anything to grow but weeds, but the veges speak for themselves. We've gotten a few cucumbers and zucchini and the others are on the way. I even made my first loaves of zucchini bread yesterday and I love it! Olivia loves knowing that she's eating food from our garden when she sits down to dinner.

I've been feeling bad when we sit down for family scripture study for awhile now. We all have scriptures, but Carter. I took the plunge this week and gave Carter his own Book of Mormon. He was thrilled! He loves getting out his own scriptures now when it's time to read...a big cheesy grin everytime! Totally worth the already crinkled pages! (We're working on gently turning the pages.)

10 comments:

Steve and Jamie said...

Those kids are sure cute. And I can't believe you have a zucchini already!

Lori said...

The kids are so cute. You guys are doing lots of fun things with all of them. Way to go on the garden. Fresh veggies are the best.

Robyn said...

You really do so many great things with your kids. Lots of fun and learning. Such cute little smiley faces.

Brittanie said...

What a good idea...Home Depot Date!
I will have to tell Dustin he can do that with all his girls now.
Amazing you have such nice veggies from your own garden. I wish I could do that. I know I would kill everything.

Jennie Freakin' Wilder said...

Zucchini bread is my favorite!! That's fun that you get to garden. That's awesome that Carter love the Book of Mormon. get him started young, it's a good book to read. So I think you should tell olivia that a date to home depot should be counted as a date. Let's be honest, if I went to home depot on a date and then built a house afterwards, that would be one nice date. I would have to agree that going on a walk and talking about "ourselves" might be a good place to start though. It looks like you get to enjoy your summer with your kids, That makes me happy.

Paula said...

the picture of Carter is too cute.

Fordney said...

I think that you must be the best momma ever! I look up to you Shaylene- someday I will be as good as you!

Amy J said...

what a fantastic "gate"! i swear we can never get tired of looking at how cute she is. we tried a garden a few times, but we kill everything or the pheasants do...way to go!

chelle said...

I always am so impressed with all the things you guys do. And your so good at capturing it for all of us to enjoy as well. I love living vicariously through you :D

Mama D said...

What a great post filled with so many wonderful activities! Your kids are so adorable!