Monday, July 21, 2008

Brown & White

Olivia and I went to Walmart on Saturday. I was checking out some hair care products and another lady came down the isle. I didn't notice her at all. Olivia then made some statement, and since I wasn't listening to Olivia either, I answered, "Oh really?" Then it hit me. I realized what she had said...."Mommy, some people are brown." I quickly looked at the lady that had come down the isle and sure enough, she was brown ;)
The lady was giving me a "why would you ask your daughter that question?" kind of look. I quickly apologized and told her that my little four-year-old is just observing the world. She laughed it off and I hope no feelings were hurt. I was very tongue twisted in handling the situation as I was so afraid of offending this dear lady.
Lesson learned: ALWAYS pay attention to what Olivia is saying/asking as it can come back to bite you in the bottom if you don't!
Speaking of bottoms and the color brown:
Check out this kids tan line! Carter's favorite thing to do after coming in and getting his swim trunks off....run around the house as we all laugh at his white boo-tay!

Who needs a horse, when you have a Daddy?

8 comments:

chelle said...

How funny. I am sure you were dying at the time but I think you handled it very well. I would hope people would understand kids are kids and they just say things as they see them. There are a lot of kids who even at 4 would of used another word to describe someone of color. (unfortunately that is the world we live in)
Great black mail pic to have for Carter in the dating years! I love it! HAHA

Bobbi said...

The sound is turned off on my computer, but I just looked down and noticed what song is playing. Love it! Love the tan line too!

Cheril Lunt said...

That is so funny. You really do have to watch out for your older ones and the wonderful comments or sounds they may make. You are soooo funny with your song choices too.

Patty said...

It sounds like you handled the situation very gracefully!
That is quite the tan line Carter has going on! My daughter would be so jealous of his tan! It's gotta be pretty entertaining having him running around with that little white boo-tay mooning you!

cathy said...

Oh I'm so glad I'm on!!! Your kids are soo cute! I'm jealous your garden is doing so well! Now if only Tonya would let me on!!!

Lori said...

You did a good job at handling that. Kids always put you in sticky situations. Is Carter potty trained now or still working on it?

Amy J said...

lol. that is too funny. i remember kelton saying "wow that man is fat!" at walmart. i was so embarrassed. way to go on handling that one.

Unknown said...

that is too funny and thanks for inviting me on to yor blog by the way.