Thursday, September 18, 2008

Four days...

...with no power! As most of you know by now, we were hit by Ike on Sunday afternoon. The wind gusts were 80+ mph (Category 1 hurricane) and the sustained winds were 40+ mph (categorized as a tropical storm). The power went out on Sunday afternoon and we just got it turned back on a few hours ago. Over 1 million had no power in our service area on Sunday. It was a good "trial" run for us. We added a few items to our "getting prepared" list. Included on that list is a hat and other things to cover my hair! Because if I can't blow dry and flat iron my hair...it's not pretty. It's also too short for my old favorite...Mr. Ponytail. Luckily our neighbors got power on Monday and they were so kind to lend me an outlet so that my hair wouldn't look so scary.
We also had a slight water emergency. Our water had to be boiled for a few days if it was to be drank. So...those water barrells really could come in handy someday (we had enough bottled water to get us through a few days though).
We really lucked out with the weather the last four days though. We were able to get our house a little chilly in the mornings so that it wouldn't heat up too much during the day.
I don't have many pictures to share because well...we didn't do anything too exciting while the power was out. Olivia played with the camera and got plenty pictures of an afternoon nap I took...but who wants to see those? (certainly not me...they were quickly erased)
The last four days weren't too bad and will be remembered! Hopefully not to be relived anytime soon though. I have too much laundry to catch up on!
Oh, and one more thing on our list of things to get: some new "underwear"...didn't realize the "less-than-acceptable" condition of mine until I had to take them to someone else's house to be washed and dryed!
Swinging in the neighbors swing to pass some time.

I guess we can all still be friends even with no TV or internet!

I like the high and low lights that a friend put on her blog and so I'm doing the same. This is more for me than for you...

*hand washing dishes in cold water to save the warm water for showers.

*Aaron taking the last "luke warm" shower this morning.

*Telling Carter that the TV was broken.

*Remembering that I have a five hour life on our portable DVD player!

*Caving in and running an extension cord from the neighbor's through our kitchen window so that I could have a cold fridge on Wednesday.

*Going grocery shopping on Wednesday and seeing no yogurt, cheese, lunchmeat, etc! Also pretty bare shelves where the mayo and ranch dressing usually are.

*Having family scripture study by flashlight.

*Getting a lot more personal scripture study time in. (Maybe no power isn't such a bad thing!)

*trying to be very quick when opening the refrigerater door, freezer door and even the front door.

*My neighbor informing me that McDonald's was open and serving everything on Monday in case we ran out of food...hahaha!

*Wondering what I could make with all my flour if it had been necessary to do that.

*going for 2-3 walks per day

*Seeing my power turn on for 30 seconds on Monday. Only to turn off for three more days.

*Eating like queens and kings on Monday night as food started to thaw. Salmon and Steak...yum!

*Turning on my computer this afternoon and seeing 80 new emails and just as many blog updates.

*Aaron's office never lost power...lucky him (not really).

*The best way to end a 91 hour streak with no power is: The Office!

*I get to take a hot shower long enough to shave my legs!

*that was fun...I could be adding more to this!

8 comments:

Vicki Lunt said...

Wow! Who would have thought you would have been affected by "Ike" clear up in Cincy??? I figured we might catch some of "his" rains here in Georgia but never you guys. Grateful to know your power is back on.

Glad you made it through and that Vanessa and Gary had power to help you out somewhat!! Tell them thanks for me will ya?

All things told, sounds like you made it through in pretty good shape though. Thanks for sharing the experience with the rest of us so we can get our butts in gear for "our turn!!!" (hope not!)

Vicki/Grammy/Mom

Lori said...

wow, I had no idea you guys got hit by Ike. I am a little confused how since you aren't near Texas but I no nothing about hurricanes. That would suck about having no power. I am glad you guys survived and were mainly prepared.

Sylvia said...

Thanks for inviting me to your blog!!

And so sorry about the loss of power, that stinks!

Mama D said...

You survived! So glad you guys have your power back.

I thought this was a pretty good chance to practice for the next natural disaster/catastrophe and to see how well prepared we are/aren't.

Jennie Freakin' Wilder said...

It sounds like you have had an adventure. Your pictures are very cute. I was look back at some of your earlier blogs and I have to say that your hair is so stinkin' CUTE. It fits you perfectly and your family is so cute as well. I bet you are just as cute when the power is out for 4 days too!

J-ME said...

Glad you guys are okay! What a memory you will all have. It does make me want to get my food storage/prepardness butt in gear!

The Wacky Wilkins said...

Oh Shayleen!! I'm so glad that you are prepared! What a huge testimony builder for you!! I had no idea that you were out for so long.

I know it would be probably a lot, but those of us who would have . . . died, would love to know what you used, what you will add, all of those fun things. I really don't know what I would have done!! So congrats . . . and good memories? :)

Oh, and I certainly giggled at the top of the playlist!

Robyn said...

YOU ARE MY INSPIRATION. We would have been in full on crisis mode. You weathered the weather whatever the weather, whether you liked it or not. Impressive.